April 7, 2011

An Alternative

I have been tossing this idea around for a while and figured I would just go for it.

I love to read. All kinds of books. If I could read all day I would. Okay, not entirely true. I would also sleep some and eat an embarrasing amount of chocolate. But I would definitely read more than I do.


There. I have said it.
My name is Stefanie Burns and I am a slow reader.

If I am going to read a book, it has to be something that interests me and that I can see myself finishing in the 10 minute increments in the restroom that are available to me. 

With that being said, I am going to start an alternative book club. I have been really nervous about how to approach this because I really don't want to offend anyone. I know there is already an established book club. One I attend. Often. (Okay, not lately. Dang work.)

Sadly, I am rarely ever able to finish the books. Again, slow reader.

This new book club will meet the second Tuesday of every month in the evening. That way you can attend both book clubs if you want. Then there is no conflict.

So the first meeting will be May 10th at 7:30pm at my house. We are going to be reading "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. It won the Newbery award in 1994. Here is a synopsis of the book (thank you wikipedia):


The Giver is a 1993 soft science fiction novel by Lois Lowry. It is set in a future society which is at first presented as a utopian society and gradually appears more and more dystopian. The novel follows a boy named Jonas through the twelfth year of his life. The society has eliminated pain and strife by converting to "Sameness", a plan which has also eradicated emotional depth from their lives. Jonas is selected to inherit the position of "Receiver of Memory," the person who stores all the memories of the time before Sameness, in case they are ever needed to aid in decisions that others lack the experience to make. When Jonas meets the Giver, he is confused in many ways. The Giver is also able to break some rules, such as turning off the speaker and lying to people of the community. As Jonas receives the memories from the previous receiver—the "Giver"—he discovers the power of knowledge. The people in his community are happy because they don't know of a better life but the knowledge of what they are missing out on could create chaos. He faces a dilemma: Should he stay with the community, his family living a shallow life without love, color, choices and knowledge or should he run away to where he can live a full life?
If this interests you, let me know.

stef.burns at gmail.com.

5 comments:

  1. My name is Susan T. and I too am a slow reader with no time on my hands. I am in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Rachael Boyle. I like that this is written in the AA format and because most of my time is spent at the AA meetings, I read but unfortunately can never make the book club meetings. (okay- that is a lie - the part about the AA meetings ...not reading.) But ROCK ON book clubs; maybe one day I will get to have your acquaintance be mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be there if I can--papers due that day and the next, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Stephanie Haught and I have been a slow reader for most of my life. See, I tend to get bored very quickly. I will only finish easy-read books that keep my attention the entire time. I will be joining your book club. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. See Stef! There's others like us! :) I love the idea of book clubs but an intense book can be too much for my "reading for pleasure" brain. I actually read pretty fast when I don't have to absorb each page for 30 minutes......like the scriptures. Hmmmm, maybe that's my problem. :)

    ReplyDelete