May 14, 2012

A HOME IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD BURNT DOWN

Hi Ladies,

On Saturday a home on the street behind us burnt down. The home is unfit to live in now and will be torn down at some point. Two sisters lived there with their children (2 sisters, 5 kids total). They are both single parents. Nearly everything was lost.

I spoke with one of the ladies yesterday as she gathered up what ever she could salvage. She just lost her job and her grandmother; she was very overwhelmed with all of her recent lost.

I am trying to find out what the PTA can do to help and other organizations, but I feel like we need to help too.

It is not certain what they can salvage as far as furniture goes. Most of it burnt or is ruined due to the smoke. Right now, they are currently staying in a Motel 8 that the Red Cross put them in. She especially needs food, like non perishables and snack food, with bottles of water. They think they will be able to save their coffee table, kitchen table and a few other small pieces. But they will need new mattresses and sofas just to name a few.

I have started to collect food, furniture donations, money, toys, and clothes in my garage.

If you can help donate, please call me or drop anything off on my front doorstep.  Thank you a ton, let's help these families get back on their feet!

-Rachael B.
two four nine - five two three seven

4 comments:

  1. What ages are the children?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been collecting a bunch of things which I usually give to families at Christmas, but at more than happy to donate stuff now. What ages are the kids so I know what will fit their family?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin and Kristin, I am not sure of all the ages. I will let you know as soon as I can. Thanks, you ladies are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't look on the blog that often, but just saw this today. Are you still collecting stuff? Also wondering the ages of the kids. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete