March 31, 2009

Bulb Planting Info

I posted earlier about some bulbs that were available online, and Rachael Boyle was kind enough to send me the following info (she's our resident gardener!):

When you plant them make sure you fertilize them down in their holes because they don't have the leaves on which they get energy from. They love bone meal or blood meal (sounds gross, I know) or another fertilizer. If you use a powder don't wet it so that it can sit around the bulb.

Also, bulbs are graded, like eggs. Those bulbs that are sold in high quantity and for a small price are not very good. They typically carry diseases or are molded. Plus, only a small number will grow and those that do grow will make small flowers. In addition, they can't support themselves and will most likely NOT come back the following year. You may want to look into buying them from a nursery that way you will get big beautiful flowers- only if you buy a handful it is better than a handful of small ones that grew with small flowers. You can hand pick them. They are large and healthy. Obviously, the larger the bulb, the larger the flower.

Also, as you know, when they start to die don't cut off their leaves if you want them to grow again the following year. They need them because they pull energy from them. What I like to do is cover them up with annuals so that as they are dying back the annuals are taking their place. And you don't notice the old leaves that much.

Do any of you have gardening tips and advice? I'd love to hear it! I'm so new to all of this, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'll be sure to post pictures when I find out how those bulbs do!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment